At 9:30 a.m. this morning, I was at the farmers market. I mention the time because I wanted you to know I was out of bed and wearing pants before 10:00 a.m. I often have pants on before 10:00. . .
Our farmers market here in Stoughton is small and friendly. I thought it was pretty busy for 9:30, considering most people make a point of getting to the market early to get first pick of pasture-fed beef and handmade Scandinavia-influenced yard and decorative signs. Maybe people here are more laid-back because there were plenty of folks of all shapes and sizes with their dogs. I was with my friend Jack, and we watched one of the dogs take a dump next to a vegetable booth. We wondered when, or if, the poo would be managed. We didn't see anyone more concerned about it than we were.
We interacted with a couple of other dogs who weren't pooping. We also interacted with vendors. We didn't pet them like we did the dogs, so it wasn't as satisfying. I did buy some things from them.
A loaf of sourdough, some "Mango Tango" hot sauce and garlic beef sticks. Each item was $10.
I should pause for a moment before I start complaining about paying $10 for hot sauce when we're over 1,900 miles away from the closest Erewon in Los Angeles. We can talk economies of scale and better ingredients, craftsmanship, and what the market will bear - but I'm wrestling with how easily I forked over a lot of dough for fresh artisanal, organic, slow-fermented sourdough from a local micro-bakery.
These days, all of us have been thinking a great deal about the price of things. I don't think this splurge means I've lost the right to complain about how much we're spending at Pick 'n Save each week. It's two different things. My bout of sticker shock this morning doesn't have much to do with the current state of corporate greed. In fact, according to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Extension: farmers' markets act as microeconomic engines that support local agriculture, retain profit margins for small family operations, and create a localized financial ripple effect that benefits neighboring retail shops and restaurants.
I guess the farmers market knows my price. $10. And that's okay because I will be pouring Mango Tango hot sauce on everything - including stuff I don't plan on eating.
No comments:
Post a Comment