Friday, July 24, 2026

Steamed Chicken

As Stephen Colbert was wrapping up the last few episodes of his talk show, he took his audience behind the scenes for The Worst of The Late Show. He ate steamed chicken during the episode, and for a while, I became obsessed with steamed chicken. 

I didn't start making steamed chicken or eating it every day. But I thought if I did, it would be the answer to all my problems. I'd be healthier, and I'd also capture whatever mojo Stephen absorbed from those strips of protein each day. 

Steamed chicken held the promise of a new life. 

Like I said, I didn't start a daily regimen of steamed chicken. In fact, my hot dog intake has increased, and there's a freezer full of frozen pizza I need to address. 

To be honest, I think I'm afraid to start a steamed chicken journey. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up the simple life I have. Becoming a creative powerhouse sounds a little exhausting, and I'm just starting to adjust to the slower rhythm of retirement. 

Introducing this kind of change seems a little reckless. I'm not saying I won't be eating steamed chicken at all. In fact, Deb and I had baked chicken for dinner this evening. I have to admit, after eating it, I felt a small spark of change creeping into my body and I'm convinced that if I have the same meal tomorrow, my "Colbert Ascension" will take off like an uncontrolled rocket. 

Scary stuff. I'm guessing the only way to pump the brakes is a Quarter Pounder and that's not a problem at all. 

No comments: