Saturday, June 20, 2015

This Guy. . .

I remember one summer when I was a teenager I was feeling “out of sorts”. I was freaked out and found myself on our front porch waiting for the feeling to pass.

Dave recognized that I was experiencing some distress so he sat with me. He spoke to me in his very calm voice and he related similar experiences he had in his youth. He just sat quietly with me as we waited for normal to arrive. And despite the fact that I may have been behaving irresponsibly he didn’t judge and in over 30 years he’s never brought the incident up again.

He probably doesn’t know how grateful I was that he helped me in such a wise, temperate and kind way. He was needed then and he showed up.

The best part is, after all this time he still keeps showing up.

That’s what a dad does.