- Reading "Little Town on the Prairie" to each other in the car was the perfect way to set off our exploration off where the Wilders lived in DeSmet.
- After becoming a little jaded by scenic beauty Devil's Tower still left us gobsmacked.
- A second trip to say goodbye to the Badlands was a good idea. Julia and I made some of those little hills our own.
- Allie's fever has me worried. Deb had food poisoning? Our hotel room in Spearfish become a late-night infirmary.
- Is that a missile silo?
- South Dakota's billboards show no love to travelers headed east on I90.
- No bad bananas. Thanks to Deb, no bad bananas.
- We can be really nasty to one another. We can be really kind to on another. We crack each other up.
- Six more hours to go and then we'll be home again.
Thursday, July 17, 2014
I haven't made time to describe our trip. I'm thumb typing from a Super 8 in Jackson, Minnesota. Here's a little randomness:
Monday, July 14, 2014
Deb's trip planning skills have made the past four days a wonderful experience. I was anticipating an endless, life-sucking ride, trapped in a Mazda with people I'm already convinced I don't like. Instead we've been (for the most part) civil and entertaining to one another. Even Deb's plan to read out loud has worked out.
I've seen the badlands. I've touched them. I scrambled around the hills and crevices with my family. It was good.
Watching Allie and Julia has been one of the best parts so far. I know I don't have long before experiences like this simply are no longer possible. So when one of them grabs my hand as we walk or leans a tired head in my shoulder or giggles at one of my stupid comments I drink it in and smile.
I'm writing this outside of a trail riding place in Custer SD. I weigh too much to ride so I need to kill a little time. This is the first time my weight has kept me from doing something I've wanted to do. I'm not sure what my reaction to this will be. Right now I'm a little dejected.
I still have Mt Rushmore in my head. That seems to balance things a little.
Tuesday, July 08, 2014
We'll soon be headed west for a road trip. I thought it might be a good idea to dust off this blog and record the event.
In just three short days I'll be sealed in a Mazda with three people who have told me (at various times and to my face) that they would like to punch me bloody.
I'm told by many others that this will be a trip I'll never forget.
I have no doubt they are right.